Is that musty odor from the basement not going away, no matter how much you clean or scrub? Musty basement smells are a common problem for property owners and these odors can spread and affect the other areas of the house, which is why it is crucial to eliminate them fast.
Most often, musty basement smells signal that mold growth is present, which can cause structural and health issues to household occupants. While there are mold remediation companies, such as ServiceMaster of Cobb, who can professionally remove mold and its spores, there are some steps that you can take to get rid of musty smells in your basement. Read these tips from ServiceMaster of Cobb.
How to Get Rid of Musty Smells in Your Basement
A musty smell in the basement is often an indicator of mold or mildew growth
, fungi which develop and thrive in damp, dark, and humid conditions. Aside from the smell, mold and mildew growth
could also cause damage to property and even threaten the health by triggering allergies or aggravating asthma and other respiratory conditions. The absence of mold helps preserve the healthy environment of your home, so follow these steps to help remove that musty smell and create an action plan for mold removal.
- Inspect the area for condensation and water leaks. Upon noticing a water leak, seal it immediately to protect your foundation's integrity as well as to prevent a water damage incident. Wrap pipes with insulation if they begin to show signs of condensation, in order to reduce moisture and avoid the growth of mold.
- Dry out the basement. Removing moisture from the air in the basement can be achieved through the use of dehumidifiers. Good ventilation can also be practiced by opening basement windows to allow fresh air to enter. If there are no windows in your basement, open the basement door and use a fan to increase the air circulation.
- Eliminate mold. About 82 percent of mold spores can be killed by undiluted white vinegar. Prepare yourself by wearing a protective gear to prevent unnecessary contact with mold spores, then place the vinegar in a spray bottle and heavily spray this solution on all affected areas. During this step, windows must be kept open to allow air to circulate. To prevent continued mold growth, leave the mixture to dry.
- Cleanse the air. After removing the mold, you can freshen the air by doing any of the following:
- Vinegar: Place white vinegar in bowls and put them in various places around the basement. This will lift the musty smell from the room after a couple of days.
- Cat litter: Placing cat litter in open containers and putting them in various locations in the basement will absorb most of the musty smell. Change the litter regularly.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is effective in absorbing a majority of musty basement smells, and can even maintain this absorbency for up to three months.
If, after performing all these steps, the odor remains or returns, it is time to get your basement inspected for mold or mildew growth
by calling in the mold remediation experts
, like ServiceMaster of Cobb
. Professionals have the tools and experience to effectively remove mold and its spores and leave your basement clean, safe and smelling fresh again.
is a threat to both your health and property, so immediate professional intervention must be taken. When it comes to mold remediation service
, ServiceMaster of Cobb
is the company to trust. We have been helping residential and commercial properties recover from the effects of mold damage since 1996, with our state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning solutions and a highly qualified team of restoration specialists.
Our mold remediation experts will identify moisture sources and evaluate both visible and hidden mold growth, contain the damage and perform mold removal, and complete the remediation process by returning your property to pre-loss condition.
Contact ServiceMaster of Cobb
residents at (678) 264-3310
, ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration
customers at (423) 220-4482
, and ServiceMaster Downtown Commercial
at (678) 909-1078
. You may also connect with us online
to schedule an appointment. Our Emergency Response Team
is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year
for your mold remediation needs. We service Georgia, Tennessee, and surrounding areas.