is a fungus that thrives in moist environments. Indoors, mold can grow in dark and damp areas such as under sinks or floorboards. One common place where mold can grow is the basement. If a musty and unpleasant smell is observed, then a home or business owner can be positive that mold is lurking somewhere inside the basement.
Fortunately, if mold does present itself, there are mold remediation companies like ServiceMaster by LoveJoy in Georgia
who can remove it properly and effectively. To avoid mold infestation in your home or business, here are some preventive tips to keep in mind.
Causes of Basement Mold
The most common causes of basement mold growth include the following:
- Cracks in the foundation which leak moisture into the area
- Pipe leaks
- Poorly sealed or insulated windows
- High humidity and poor ventilation
- Inadequate drainage away from the foundation
- A recent flood or water damage event
Preventing Mold in Basements
The key to mold prevention is eliminating its growing condition. The Federal Emergency Management Agency
) recommends performing the following steps to control mold and moisture in the home.
- Stop the source of moisture. Determine and locate the cause of basement mold. Fix pipe leaks or cracks in the foundation. Grade the landscape surrounding the foundation in such a way that water flows away from it.
- Keep the basement dry. Reduce the humidity and increase the ventilation in the basement by running fans or a dehumidifier. Insulate cold surfaces to reduce potential for condensation.
- Clean and disinfect. Routine inspection, cleaning, and disinfection will help prevent basement mold from growing. However, if mold infestation occurs, it would be best to contact a mold remediation company to take care of the job properly.
- Use mold-inhibiting paint. This can be bought at paint and home improvement stores.
Removing Mold Growth in Basements
Thorough cleaning and disinfecting may work depending on the extent of the mold issue, but the effective and safe removal of mold could only be performed by a professional mold remediation company
, such as ServiceMaster by LoveJoy in Georgia
. Mold is not only an aesthetic issue; it could also pose health risks to building occupants, which is why safety practices must be applied when trying to clean it on your own. Here are some tips to remember:
- Ensure that the working area is well-ventilated.
- Wear protective equipment such as gloves and goggles when working with cleaning agents such as bleach. Never mix bleach with ammonia.
- Cleaning and discarding mold-contaminated items can be risky; contact a professional to remove them for you. Mold remediation experts can locate hidden mold, safely and effectively clean the affected area and personal items, and restore the basement back to pre-damage condition.
Basement Mold Removal in Atlanta, Georgia and Surrounding Areas
After a water damage event, trust the mold remediation and cleanup to the experts. ServiceMaster by LoveJoy is the leading property damage restoration and cleaning service company in Atlanta, Georgia and surrounding areas. We utilize state-of-the-art technology and industry-grade cleaning solutions to effectively remove mold and mold spores from your property. Our IICRC-certified firm has licensed and fully bonded technicians who are trained and knowledgeable in the best industry practices for mold removal and cleanup. We are also a Preferred Vendor for some of the top insurance carriers in Georgia, enabling us to help policyholders in times of crisis.
Contact us at (678) 293-0297 for Conyers customers and (770) 983-6665 for Roswell customers. Our Emergency Response Team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to provide you with immediate assistance. We are servicing clients in Atlanta, Roswell , Sandy Springs, Marietta, Decatur, Stockbridge, Conyers, McDonough, Stone Mountain, Covington, Social Circle, Dekalb County, Fulton County, Georgia and surrounding areas.