Winter is here, and when the warm weather arrives, will your home or office be prepared for the thaw? Melting snow and ice could cause massive water damage
if you don't plan ahead of time, which would translate to high repair and restoration costs. It is ideal to prepare your property before the winter starts, but it is still early in the season to be able to perform some simple tasks to salvage your property when the snowmelt arrives. The experts at ServiceMaster by LoveJoy
have prepared a list of tips to minimize melting ice damage this winter and prevent expensive repairs. Read them below.
Preventing Damage From Melting Snow
- Inspect your roof. Check your roof for leaks and damages and have a licensed roofer repair them before they can cause roof water damage and destroy your attic, ceiling, or drywall.
- Clear gutters and downspouts. Water from melting ice will not be able to flow or drain properly if your gutters or downspouts are clogged or filled with leaves, branches, and other debris. To break down snow and ice stuck in gutters, a snow melt tab could be used. To prevent water from snowmelt runoff from pooling near your property, it would be best to attach a sloped ladder to your downspouts to carry water farther away from your building, minimizing the risk of basement or foundation seepage.
- Remove snow from around your home. Areas with high snowfall or are frequently visited by storms or blizzards can cause snow accumulation of several feet around your property. Clear at least a foot of snow around the sides of your home to prevent flooding and seepage when all that snow melts.
- Repair cracks in your foundation, doors, and windows. A small crack can cause water entry and signal the onset of water damage indoors. Secure your home by weatherstripping, caulking, and sealing cracks around doors and windows, as well as replacing old seals.
- Clean your drains. Clogged drains will cause water pooling, so clear them of debris for the snowmelt to flow properly.
- Check your sump pump. The function of a sump pump is to collect water and safely allow it to drain away from the home, preventing basement and foundation water damage. However, it is essential to perform routine maintenance on your sump pump to ensure that it is in good working condition and can effectively perform draining when the snowmelt comes. If you find your sump pump damaged, call a plumber to have it fixed immediately.
Winter Water Damage in Roswell, GA?
Contact ServiceMaster by LoveJoy, Georgia's Leading Water Damage Restoration Service Provider
Winter can be damaging to your property, so make sure you know who to call when water or mold damage strikes. ServiceMaster by Lovejoy
is a premier property damage restoration and cleaning company servicing both residential and commercial properties in Georgia since 1995
. We are an IICRC-certified firm
specializing in restoring your property to pre-loss condition after a fire, water, or mold damage incident. Our licensed and fully bonded technicians are trained in the latest procedures and practices in the industry and use only state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning solutions to deliver a satisfactory result to our clients. Our reputation is built on decades of providing quality restoration services to customers, 100% satisfaction guaranteed. ServiceMaster by LoveJoy
is also an Insurance Preferred Vendor
and has met strict insurance standards and guidelines to provide assistance to policyholders at the first sign of a disaster.
Call ServiceMaster by LoveJoy
at (678) 293-0297 for Conyers customers
or (770) 983-6665 for Roswell customers
, or connect with us online
for a free on-site inspection and estimate. We are on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to your needs immediately. We service customers in Atlanta
, Sandy Springs
, Marietta, Decatur
, Stone Mountain
, Social Circle
, Dekalb County
, Fulton County, Georgia and surrounding areas.