You go through the proper steps to protect your home, but sometimes accidents happen and you are left with costly damages. You should take water damage seriously because it can cause your family to vacate your property.
If you notice any type of water damage in your home, it is important to know what type of damage is occurring. It is crucial to know the different types of water along with the various classifications of water damage.
Professional Water Damage Restoration Company
If you’ve been hit by water damage, don’t hesitate to call ServiceMaster by LoveJoy. We can help professionally restore any damaged area. If you just have questions about disaster prevention, let us know, too. Being properly prepared is essential for your safety and well-being.
We offer damage restoration services such as:
What Are The Common Causes Of Water Damage?
- Pipes in the loft – broken or frozen;
- Blocked guttering;
- Storage tanks – leaky or over-flowing;
- Badly fitted bathroom tiles;
- Broken or poor-fitting shower screens and curtains;
- Shower trays – broken or badly fitted;
- Baths – poorly plumbed in or unattended;
- Poorly maintained sealant around bath and shower;
- Poorly maintained or open chimneys;
- Flashing around chimney – damaged or poorly installed;
- Roof tiles – missing or broken;
- Poorly installed or broken windows;
- Defrosted fridges and ice machines;
- Damp-proof course – failed or missing;
- Insufficient or low-lying air bricks;
- Damp-proof course – bridged;
- Old corroded pipework;
- DIY, i.e. nailing into pipes;
- Leaking radiators;
- Corroded ball valves in toilet cisterns;
- Blocked sewers and sewage backflow;
- Unattended or blocked sinks;
- Appliances – faulty or corroded;
- Storm drain overflow;
- Drainage – poor or insufficient (around foundations);
- External flooding;
- Insufficient threshold on external doors;
- Poorly maintained boilers;
- Hot water cylinders – poorly maintained; and
- Broken aquariums.
Dangers Of Not Treating The Source Of Water Damage
It is important that property owners are able to pick out possible water damage as early as possible and to find experienced professionals to accurately find the source of the water damage if it isn’t obvious.
There are health risks linked to water damage one must be aware of. A common health risk is seen (or unseen) mold. A build-up of this can cause symptoms such as:
- Skin rashes
Categories and Classes of Water Damage
- Categories of Water Damage
Assessing the severity of the damage is important for determining what is needed to start water damage repair and water removal.
Category 1 - clean water, or water that does not pose a threat to humans. Possible causes of this type of damage include broken appliances or sink overflows.
Category 2 - gray water. This means that the water is contaminated and may cause illnesses if ingested. This type of water contains microorganisms. Broken toilets, broken sump pumps, and seepage may cause Category 2 water damage.
Category 3 - black water. This type of water is unsanitary, as it contains bacteria and other microorganisms that cause sickness. The possible sources of black water damage include sewage problems and contamination of standing water.
Classes of Water Damage
The class of damage is important when assessing water damage repair options.
- Class 1
- The least harmful form of damage. Materials absorb very little of the water from this type of damage. Water damage repair is the easiest in this type of situation.
- Class 2
- It has a fast rate of evaporation, which means that carpets and cushions may be damaged. Water damage repair is more difficult when it involves Class 2 damage.
- Class 3
- It has the fastest rate of evaporation. In this case, the water may come from broken sprinklers or other overhead sources, soaking the walls and furniture.
- Class 4
- It requires special water restoration and water removal procedures. This type of damage may affect hardwood floors, plaster, and concrete.
If you are unsure which type of water you are dealing with, be sure to call a water damage restoration team like ServiceMaster by LoveJoy. With the proper training and equipment, restoration crews that specialize in water damage restoration and mold remediation can determine the water category and proceed with an appropriate plan of action. While you are waiting for the water damage cleanup team to arrive, there are steps you can take to keep you and your loved ones safe from contaminated water.
- Keep children and pets away from the affected area.
- Contact your insurance company and let them know a restoration team is on their way. Take pictures of the damage as proof for your insurance adjuster.
- Stop the further spread of contamination by keeping the area contained as best as possible.
- Be sure to use personal protective equipment such as face masks, rubber gloves and boots, and impervious coveralls if you have to go into the area.
- Turn off all electrical power to your home in the affected area.
- Turn off the water supply and any running water into the home or area.
ServiceMaster by LoveJoy and Water Damage Categories
Our team at ServiceMaster by LoveJoy is certified by the IICRC to handle your water damage regardless of its category. Our goal is not just to dry the damage; it’s to make sure that you can occupy an environment without facing ill-health effects.
If you have water damage, call ServiceMaster by LoveJoy today.