Since 1972, Clean Air Month is observed during the month of May in the United States, as sponsored by the American Lung Association. Clean Air Month aims to educate the public about the importance of clean air and to encourage individuals to take action to improve indoor air quality. Several activities are held during the month-long celebration to raise awareness about indoor air quality, such as "Bike to Work Day" and "Car Share Day."
What are the risks of poor indoor air quality?
- Air pollution can stem from a variety of sources, such as vehicle emissions, secondhand smoke, and harsh cleaning chemicals.
- Indoors air pollution contributes to unhealthy indoor air quality, aggravating medical conditions like allergies and asthma and leading to serious illnesses like chronic bronchitis and cancer, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Reducing Exposure to Polluted Indoor Air
It is possible to take action to improve indoor air quality even if eliminating all possible sources of air pollution is not doable. Here are some ways to improve indoor air quality, according to the EPA:
- Keep your space clean. Maintaining a clean and fresh environment can significantly improve the air quality in your home or office. You can further keep healthy indoor air by (1) utilizing a good vacuum or HEPA filter, (2) vacuuming and mopping at least once a week, (2) utilizing cleaning products that do not harm the environment, and (4) bathing and brushing household pets regularly to reduce pet dander.
- Keep carpets and upholstery clean. Dust, dirt, mold spores and other pollutants are often present in your carpets and upholstered furniture, so have them cleaned by a professional on the regular to prevent buildup.
- Ventilate your space. Most heating and cooling systems are not intended to bring fresh air into the house. In order to increase the outdoor ventilation rate, keep windows and doors open and operate attic, window, bathroom, and kitchen fans.
- Keep air ducts and air filters clean. Dirt and dust can get into your heating and cooling system air ducts and can be circulated indoors. In addition, clogged ducts can no longer trap dust and pollutants effectively. Air filters must be replaced regularly to keep the air you breathe clean. To further improve air quality and reduce the presence of allergens, have your air ducts cleaned by a professional.
- Utilize air cleaners. Air cleaners come in a variety of types and sizes, from portable models to whole-house systems. They can be useful for particle removal but are typically not designed to remove gaseous pollutants.
Hire a ServiceMaster Clean by LoveJoy Technician Today for Specialty Cleaning Services
If you are experiencing unhealthy indoor air in your home or office, it's time to call the professionals for a deep clean. ServiceMaster Clean by LoveJoy is committed to providing a clean and healthy environment for your family and employees. For more than 25 years, we have been helping residential and commercial property owners throughout Atlanta, Conyers, and Roswell, Georgia, and surrounding areas with their cleaning needs. We offer professional cleaning services for carpets, upholstery, air duct, tile and grout, wood floor, and more. Our services are customizable to suit your needs and budget while contributing to better air quality in your home or workplace.
Our technicians are certified, licensed and fully bonded and have the expertise and experience to deliver comprehensive property cleaning. Contact ServiceMaster Clean by LoveJoy today at 678-672-3222 or connect with us online to schedule an appointment.