For most Americans, the world of alternative or complimentary healthcare options is a new, unfamiliar, interesting, hope-inspiring, and confusing marketplace of choices. What we hope to do here (on this website) is to provide you with some general information that will help you make informed decisions about your healthcare options and some specific information about our services.
Our main focus is medical massage. We have worked with clients ranging in age from 4 to 90 years old who have come to us with a wide variety of problems. We are results oriented and will not take you as a client unless we feel we can help you. Quite simply, the overwhelming majority of our clients have soft tissue based problems; an area in which Western medicine falls short. A large number of our clients with whom we have had success have been in pain for substantial lengths of time (up to 19 years) and many have exhausted all Western medicine options before coming to us.
Our therapy program is a 5 faceted approach, custom tailored for each client. It is, essentially, an Asian / energy based approach assembled by us and reflecting our (combined) over 66 years of experience. The program / approach consists of the following components:
1. Acupuncture / acupressure This is mainly used for pain relief and to combat inflammation.
2. Seifhukujitsu / Okazaki style, traditional Japanese deep-tissue massage / tui na This encompasses a wide range and large number of specific deep tissue loosening / relaxing techniques primarily based upon acupuncture theory.
3. Stretching / alignment techniques Once the tissue is sufficiently relaxed, these techniques allow the body to naturally align itself.
4. Specific exercises for specific problems The client is taught a progression of specific, mainly stretching, exercises that target his or her specific problems. These exercises come primarily from Chinese martial arts, chi gung, and yoga.
5. Lifestyle assessment and modification This is an in-depth, on-going assessment to identify the clients real (not merely symptomatic) problem; as well as an on-going educational process to inform and educate the client about good habits that can be developed and bad habits that can be eliminated.
Typically, our approach is to see a client for an initial appointment, which lasts for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, for an in-depth assessment and hands-on therapy session; after which, we see most clients twice a week for a month. We continuously reevaluate the clients needs.
Most people come to us initially with a medical problem; after their problem is solved or becomes manageable (no, we cannot make you 18 again), most of our clients continue to come on a maintenance schedule. They have learned that the answer is to come so you dont hurt, instead of only coming when you do hurt. Prevention is the best medicine.
We are always happy to provide references from our many satisfied clients. We hope to be able to help you as well.